Sunday, July 31, 2011

About the links...

I think anyone who wants to make a creative effort to "turn back the pendulum" ought to make it a creative endeavor instead of buying the experience. It's fine to go someplace and pick up your steam goggles, victorian hats, etc, ESPECIALLY since patronizing these vendors encourages the availability of similar items. If the products are quality, why not?

But what I love about this genre is the organic and craft-based aesthetic that goes into creating things like ivory keyboards and brass-mounted wooden mp3 cases. Steampunk celebrates the same arts and crafts movement espoused by eminent Victorian critic John Ruskin. I think what we're experiencing is a renaissance in that rebellion against machine-made items. This is why some of the sites I selected for the recently-added Steampunk Support tab go to stores for clothing patterns and re-enactment gear, instead of ready-made costumes.

That being said, I initially felt awkward about posting them- it's one thing to casually invite friends to check out something you enjoyed, and quite another to shill (shilling was an inescapable aspect of the Victorian marketplace, though). Steampunk Support features some sites I have frequented and enjoyed in my own personal experience, and one or two that I have not. I checked the feedback ratings on the ones I have not personally used, and if it drops below 95%, I'm removing them. Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment